System of Learning and Practice
This is more about intentional practice than productivity - my goal is doing fewer things that make me unhappy, rather than getting more things done.
- Ink on paper is important to me
- There should be spatial context on multiple axis
- There is a consistent, trusted framework
- There is an expectation of my interacting with the system, to create new entries but also moderate pages and their relationships
- The Process is part of the appeal
- It must be self contained and portable (including pen)
- It must support loose paper from non-standard sources
Notebook: Undisciplined Paper
Random thoughts to be processed later… Maybe. No entry too small or mundane the more the better! Occasionally indexed.
Currently using: ZEQUENZ 360 Notebook
A5 Slipbox: Disciplined Paper
A5 Slip Box. Premeditated. Active sheets are loose in a folder, archived sheets in a binder. Obsessively indexed and reviewed.
Each Slipbox page:
- Represents an idea or event
- Written in complete sentances
- Intended as reference
- Not every day but 16-20/Month
- Writing, drawing, scraps... anything readable
- “Body” (the critical bits) live in an A7 window at the center of the page
- Marginalia surrounds the body in an A6 space
- Footnotes go anywhere they fit
- Links ‐ or at least enough string to find the source again ‐ at bottom
Tablet: Undisciplined Digital
Random and/or research of external sources with low/no return on time ‐ “wasting time”. Gathering info and thoughts.
Laptop: Disciplined Digital
Organized Sounds, Words and Images for publication/release into the outside/wild world. Structure is it’s own project/object